Friday 01 March 2024

World Cup-2030: Morocco is Candidate on Africa’s Behalf, Says CAF Chief

Cairo – The President of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), Patrice Motsepe, said on Wednesday in Cairo that Morocco’s bid (along with Spain and Portugal) to host the 2030 World Cup finals is a bid on behalf of the entire African continent, highlighting the Kingdom’s support for this major challenge.

The unanimous decision to entrust Morocco with the organization of the African Cup of Nations (AFCON-2025) is a show of support for its efforts in its bid to host the 2030 World Cup, said Motsepe at a press conference following the CAF Executive Committee meeting, at which the Kingdom was named host of the 35th edition of the AFCON to be held in 2025.

“We are looking forward to one of the best AFCONs in 2025 in Morocco, and we will also be very happy to see Africa host the World Cup again in 2030,” he said, expressing his optimism that Morocco’s bid would “represent the whole of Africa on the world stage.”

“A new World Cup in Africa will be the gauge of the great progress made by the continent in the field of football and its infrastructures,” he said.

Motsepe recalled the performances of African teams, notably Morocco, at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, reaffirming CAF’s determination to promote and develop football on the continent.

Referring to the method of designating the host countries for the 2025 and 2027 editions of the AFCON, the CAF boss affirmed that “strict and high standards have been set, which reflect our aspirations to develop our football”.

The CAF Executive Committee, meeting in Cairo on Wednesday, unanimously chose the Kingdom of Morocco to host the 35th edition of the African Cup of Nations, to be held in 2025. It also entrusted the organization of the 2027 edition to Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, who submitted a joint bid.

MAP

Related news

Co-hosting the 2030 Football World Cup is a concrete example of the excellent Moroccan-Spanish relations and the mutual determination to advance the bilateral Roadmap adopted in 2022, Spanish Government President Pedro Sánchez said in Rabat on Wednesday.

“Hosting the World Cup is undoubtedly an extraordinary challenge, but above all an opportunity to further strengthen the foundations of friendship between Morocco, Spain and Portugal,” he told a press conference held at the end of his working visit to the Kingdom.

This global sporting event will enable the organizing countries to “convey, to the whole world, a very positive message of collaboration, good organization and fraternity,” he pointed out.

In this respect, the Spanish top official underlined the importance of holding a forum bringing together Moroccan and Spanish companies, “to explore cooperation and investment opportunities with a view to bringing this exciting project to fruition,” particularly in terms of infrastructure.

“The 2030 World Cup will be the crowning achievement of the extraordinary collaboration and cooperation between our two countries,” further noted Sánchez, who is starting a new term at the head of the Spanish executive.

Football federations of Morocco, Portugal and Spain officially signed, on Wednesday, the bid agreement to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup.The signing of the bid agreement is a commitment by the three football Federations to respect the rules and framework governing the bidding process, said the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF) in a statement published on its website, noting that the document also offers guidance on key technical aspects of the bid, including its promotion and evaluation criteria.

“The Moroccan, Portuguese and Spanish football federations will now be working together more closely than ever to develop a bid that will enable the FIFA World Cup to exceed all expectations,” said the FRMF, adding that “in sharing their vision and outlook for the tournament last month, the Federations expressed their intention to deliver a tournament that strengthens the FIFA World Cup legacy, develops football and will have a significant impact worldwide”.With the 2030 FIFA World Cup marking the centenary of the tournament’s first edition, added the same source, “special efforts will be made to ensure that the latter serves as a model for the next 100 years”.”In particular, the host countries will be showcasing their unique cultures to foster collaboration between Europe, Africa and the rest of the world, while ensuring that the event is sustainable, friendly and inclusive for fans of all ages and backgrounds,” according to the same source.At the signing ceremony, president of the Portuguese football federation, Fernando Gomes, said that the signing of the bid agreement represented “a historic moment for our federations and for football in our three countries”.”Today, we celebrate all those who have made this moment possible, and from tomorrow, we work to develop a bid and tournament plan that will impress football fans around the world, and to hold a tournament that will be a unique new experience for all football fans worldwide,” he noted.For his part, president of the Royal Moroccan Football Federation, Fouzi Lekjaa, stressed that “thanks to the vision of His Majesty King Mohammed VI, may God assist him, football in Morocco is developing like never before, from the grass roots right up to our national teams”.”

Joining forces with Portugal and Spain to create a FIFA World Cup that will be revolutionary and forever mark the history of world football. Together, we will make history. The first transcontinental men’s FIFA World Cup. The first to be organized in two continents and three countries. And only the second on the entire African continent.

Our impact can be phenomenal, because our 2030 World Cup will be a footballing event that will mark a new turning point,” stressed Lekjaa.President of the Royal Spanish football federation, Pedro Rocha, said: “We are very grateful for the confidence FIFA has shown in our vision so far (…) and we look forward to working together in the coming months”.”We are aware of the considerable responsibility that comes with hosting a football World Cup, and we are already measuring its full significance. Three countries will host the 2030 FIFA World Cup, but its legacy will be felt everywhere,” he added.

The 2030 World Cup will be “the best in history”, Fernando Sanz, Director of International Business Development at the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), said.

“We are working with our Moroccan and Portuguese peers to organize the best edition of a World Cup of all time,” Fernando Sanz on Wednesday told Movistar channel.

“We are working in harmony to prepare all the details of a strong bid. We exchange visits and move the project forward,” he added.

 “There is permanent contact between the different joint bid committees”, the former Real Madrid player noted.

Football federations of Morocco, Portugal and Spain officially signed, on Wednesday, the bid agreement to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup.

The signing of the bid agreement is a commitment by the three football Federations to respect the rules and framework governing the bidding process, said the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF) in a statement published on its website, noting that the document also offers guidance on key technical aspects of the bid, including its promotion and evaluation criteria.

The declaration of interest of the tripartite Morocco-Spain-Portugal bid to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup was submitted on Monday to FIFA headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland.

The document was handed over by the General Secretary of the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF), Tarek Najem, to FIFA officials and the 2030 World Cup Bid Committee, the FRMF said in a statement.

The declaration of interest was initialled last Saturday in Salé by FRMF President Fouzi Lekjaa, Portuguese Football Federation President Fernando Gomes and Royal Spanish Football Federation President Pedro Rocha.

On October 04, the FIFA Council unanimously selected the Morocco-Spain-Portugal bid as the sole candidate to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup.

Morocco’s selection to host the 2030 World Cup, alongside Spain and Portugal, is the result of the development of high-quality sports infrastructure in the Kingdom, according to Nasser Kamel, the Secretary General of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM).

“The sports infrastructure available in Morocco and the recent development in various fields have significantly contributed to the success of the joint bid by Morocco, Spain, and Portugal for hosting the 2030 World Cup,” emphasized the UfM SG in an interview with MAP, on the sidelines of his participation in a businesswomen’s forum in Tunis.

Hosting this major sporting event in Morocco will provide the world with an opportunity to witness the advancements made by the country in various areas, he pointed out.

According to Kamel, Morocco has harnessed its strategic geographical location and human capital to better integrate its economy into the regional and international environment.

“All these assets have contributed to the success of Morocco’s bid,” he said, underscoring the significance of the first participation of an Arab-Mediterranean country in organizing this large-scale event.

The selection of Morocco as the host country for the World Cup follows the resounding success of the 2022 edition in Qatar, which demonstrates that Arab countries have the capability to host the world’s most significant competitions, he noted.

Regarding the status of women in Morocco, the UfM General Secretary emphasized HM the King’s leadership in empowering women and advancing their role in economic activity, while commending their pioneering role and active contribution to economic life.

As a result, Morocco was selected to benefit from the Flower project, financed by the UfM and aimed at empowering rural women. He highlighted the remarkable success of this project, particularly in supporting women affected by the consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Salé – Moroccan, Spanish and Portuguese football federations signed, Saturday at the Mohammed VI Football Complex in Salé, a declaration of intent for the joint organization of the 2030 Football World Cup.

Signed by Fouzi Lekjaa, President of the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF), Fernando Gomes, President of the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) and Pedro Rocha, President of the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), this declaration of intent constitutes one of the key stages of the bidding process to host the 2030 World Cup.

On this occasion, Lekjaa reiterated, on behalf of the national and international football family, his warm thanks to HM King Mohammed VI who surrounds sport in general and football in particular with His high solicitude.

“This is a single candidacy which brings together three countries and two continents. This World Cup will undoubtedly be an exception in the history of football, because it will allow us to reconnect with the civilizational heritage which brings together the three countries”, he said.

Morocco, Spain and Portugal will also have the opportunity to highlight a common past and future, he underlined, noting that the different components of the Moroccan people are mobilized behind HM the King, who was the first to announce, last March from Kigali, Morocco’s ambition to host the 2030 World Cup jointly with Spain and Portugal.

For his part, FPF president, Fernando Gomes, stressed that the three countries will have, between now and next June, the time necessary to prepare the official bid.

Stressing that his country has proposed three stages for this joint bid, he expressed his conviction that the 2030 World Cup will be “a benchmark in this area”.

“2030 will not only be a historic year, but a tripartite ambition which will determine the future of world football,” he highlighted. “We aim to organize an exceptional World Cup, the impact of which will be felt in the infrastructure of each country,” he pointed out.

As for the RFEF president, Pedro Rocha, he considered that this bid demonstrates “unity and solidarity” between the three nations.

“It is a unique opportunity for cooperation between three countries and two continents. The World Cup will generate a legacy for the entire planet,” he highlighted.

“We are committed to keeping all football fans informed of the latest developments in this matter,” he promised, expressing his deep gratitude to HM King Mohammed VI for the efforts that the Sovereign continues to deploy in view of football development.

The next step in the bid process for hosting the 2030 World Cup will be the submission by the three federations of bid agreements to FIFA by the end of next November.

The FIFA council, on October 4, unanimously agreed that the sole candidacy will be the combined bid of Morocco, Portugal, and Spain, which will host the 2030 FIFA World Cup.